Producing Leaders in the
Sustainable Development of Mineral Resources
The Mineral Resources Leadership Certificate is a multi-disciplinary, essential skills and workplace readiness program offered by the Goodman School of Mines. Learning modules and experiences are completed synchronously with the students’ degree, during four academic semesters (Fall & Winter). A cohort of 30 undergraduate and graduate students and 10 industry professionals are selected from programs at Laurentian University that may lead to careers in the mineral resources industry. The certificate program features a very unique and experiential learning environment and responds directly to the essential skills and knowledge needs indicated by industry employers. Multiple field trips, networking events, one on one industry mentorship, and opportunities to interact with industry professionals and obtain industry recognized certifications are key components of this “once in a lifetime” learning experience.
Program Overview at a Glance
Semester One (September 2023)
- Project Management Essentials
- Critical Thinking Skills
- Working With Others
- Field Trip #1 – Dynamic Earth & Mining Business Presentation
- Networking 101 – TBD
- Program Launch & Networking Event
Semester Two (January 2024)
- Health and Safety Courses
- Standard First Aid & CPR Training
- The Circle of Communication
- Networking Event – TBD
- Field Trip #2 – NORCAT Facility and Mine Tour
Semester Three (September 2024)
- Learning About Mining
- Mining 101
- Career Awareness and Continuous Learning
- Field Trip #3 – Environment/Geology Trip
- Networking Event – TBD
Semester Four (January 2025)
- Racism, Racial Discrimination and Human Rights
- Intercultural Awareness Training
- Gender Equity
- Indigenous Awareness Training
- Towards Sustainable Mining
- Field Trip #4 – Indigenous Activity
- Resume, Interview Skills and Networking for Job Search
- Mock Interviews
- Program Completion Celebration & Networking Event
Semester One (Fall)
Semester Two (Winter)
Semester Three (Fall)
Semester Four (Winter)
Become a Leader in the Sustainable Development of Mineral Resources!
All of the above is included in the price of admission.
$2,599 +HST per year (industry participants)
$599 +HST per year (student participants)
Explore the Mineral Resources Industry Leadership Certificate.
This certificate program features a very unique and experiential learning environment and responds directly to the essential skills and knowledge needs indicated by industry employers.
Following this link will take you back to the Mineral Resources Leadership Certificate homepage.
Want to apply? On this page you will find everything you need to know including the breakdown of the fees, how to apply to the program and the deadlines to apply!
Support & Mentors
The industry has indicated that they are looking for workers with a well-rounded education and students with multiple skills and varied knowledge. This page highlights ways that the industry can support and mentor our students!